Saturday, December 29, 2012

Family Night

It has been way too long since my last post. A nasty virus ravaged our house for two weeks before Christmas, then Kyle and I caught a cold after Christmas. Add in two room makeovers (pictures to come) and millions (okay dozens) of Christmas toys, candy, and boxes EVERYWHERE and you can easily guess that I have been swamped.

Here are some fun Family Night resources I thought I would share. Family Night is essential for our semi-large family. We run a pretty tight ship around here out of necessity and need some fun time to relax. We try to have Family Night at least once most weeks. Almost every night we end up with cookie crumbs and popcorn covering the living room floor. Family Nights aren't extravagant, just snacks and a movie or a game. It's essential for our kids to know that we are intentional about spending time with them, that we WANT to have fun with them, that they are important to us. I am excited to try Just Add Family for some easy and fun devotional family time soon. I will let you know how it works!

We couldn't do Family Night without the Plugged In App and website. After many failed trips to the Redbox and finding nothing safe for our 4 sets of precious little eyes, we realized we needed some help. Plugged In gives us reviews from a Christian perspective. They aren't biased or crazy conservative, but just state the facts so we can make our own choice. For the most part, we end up not seeing many new movies just our old faves. The kids enjoy the time together and popcorn just the same.

I also use Thriving Family website for book reviews. We read lots of books. I use Thriving Family to help me decide what is age appropriate for our kids. For instance, I remember loving Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn as a kid, but forgot about slaves being whipped and ghosts in them. I downloaded the audio books and scared the boys to death. I definitely don't have time to pre-read everything. Focus On the Family saves the day again!

Go read a book or make some memories with your kiddos!

1 comment:

  1. We enjoy family time too. We often times watch movies or do fun things like that. Thanks for sharing and for linking up!

    ReplyDelete