Friday, August 29, 2014

"Jesus Hippie"

I don't have any excuses for ignoring this blog except I've had more important things to do. Period.
In the last year, we've moved, TJ started a new job, we've  been incredibly sick, had an enormous amount of children in and out of our house, and begun doing missions with our new church. Life is busy and I'm a complainer. I'm tired. TJ's tired but we've been called to raise our brood plus a few and to ministry.

When TJ and I went to tour the campus of Asbury Theological Seminary several years ago, we met with an admissions counselor, obviously. I thought he was the craziest person I had ever met. We quickly dubbed him the "Jesus Hippie." We also quickly learned the famous was full of them!  When he got married he told his wife to quit her job "because marriage is hard enough. She can stare at the ceiling all day for all I care. Maybe she'll learn to paint or sew." Then he proceeded to tell us how they sold everything they had and moved to seminary with...nothing...no money...no place to live...no food. They lived in their van because God called. Seriously? Who does that?!? The cafeteria workers fed them. They got jobs at the school and eventually got an apartment. He put his wife through seminary...and then let her stay home with their children! They were expecting their 4th child while he was attending seminary. "It's all good. Our 2 bedroom apartment is bigger than the 3 bedrooms on campus." Yep, 2 bedrooms. I feel like we fill up our 4 bedroom house pretty easily. He said checks just come in the mail when they needed something. I remember asking, "Who just sends you money in the mail?"

This man's attitude has perplexed me for years even after our every need has been provided for ...even after I have been able to stay home with our four children...and learn to paint and sew...even after checks have come in the mail or cash or gift cards put in our hands or food delivered. Every time I'm shocked at how God provides. I'm sitting on the balcony of a condo at the beach that was gifted to us...worrying about tomorrow. Not because we really have a need but because I forget to look over the years, to see the big picture, to see how God has provided, to trust that He's got it already. 

God is good, life is hard. Let's not grow weary. Let's run looking into the distance even in the midst of life, and dirty diapers, and kids who are hungry/dirty/abused, and children peering into our window while we change clothes because "I would really like it if I could just come inside." Let's run toward the goal He's given us not just toward tomorrow.

Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Corinthians 9:26, 27 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment