Thursday, February 21, 2013

I Want To Smell Like Jesus

It seems that lately I have been drawn to Ephesians. Maybe it's because God is asking what seems like alot from me right now. I have come to think He must be preparing my heart for something, even though I don't have a clue what it is yet. Today I read in Ephesians 5...

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children  and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

I am supposed to imitate God? Wow that's big! Lately I feel like I have been sacrificing, but I know I haven't offered myself as a fragrant offering. When I sit in the nursery with my little ones through Sunday School and Church, I can assure you my attitude isn't very fragrant. It probably resembles the dirty diapers I put in the trash can! What about when our finances are tight? I can assure you I am not joyous about cutting our grocery budget. Can I really give myself up as a fragrant offering, being joyous and ready to share Christ with the people I meet on that grocery store trip with four kids and a calculator in hand? I didn't, but I could have.

I think God is calling us to let go of something. The first thing is my right to a very poor attitude. I can't be a fragrant offering while complaining to myself all day. Next He may ask for our comfort which for us would include moving, giving up farming, or who knows what?

At an event a couple weeks ago the speaker said, "I want to smell like Jesus." If we "smell like Jesus" others will notice. Soon they will want to smell like Jesus too. (I have a hard time not getting tickled with the whole "smelling" thing.) But really I can change my attitude, my response to everyday sufferings to be a fragrant offering to the One who suffered in my place. Then, He can begin to work through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment