Friday, February 1, 2013

Our Notebooks


Our notebooks. I bet they look a little different and smell different than public school notebooks. We were a little behind this week because of several doctor appointments. Science fell by the wayside since we are ahead for the year. We were supposed to study temperature. (I haven't even gotten a thermometer yet.) I walk into the kitchen to find Cole with three cups of water. He used the meat thermometer measure their different temperatures. He said he wanted to measure the "water temperature in the wild." Off we go to the river. If Cole says anything, I did NOT fall and slide on my tush in the mud while mid sentence saying the bank was slick. At least I didn't fall in. That's another story, haha! The river was 35 degrees, by the way. He observed the water temperature was warmer than the air and warmer in stagnant places. Then we headed to the barn. Notice the horse poo and mud on the notebook? He observed that the water in the stalls was 2 degrees colder than in the trough. Now he wants to make a chart and find the average temperature of the river. Wait are we doing math now?

Our notebooks will see cat hair from practicing spelling words on the front porch in the spring, water stains from sister squirting it with water gun while doing math under a shade tree, a leaf that has to be saved forever, grass stains from dropping it to run and push brother on the swing and unfortunately they might see many forms of animal manure. (Cole loves to sit in the chicken pen and label the parts of a chicken.)

I am sure Cole learned more today about temperature than he would have by me reading a 5 minute lesson to him. This is what homeschooling is about folks.
What do your kids' notebooks look like?

2 comments:

  1. We covered the front covers of ours with scrapbooking paper to match the subject that each is for, but they're getting quite beat up - because we carry ours all around, too. Don't you love having the freedom to do that? :-)

    Thanks for linking up at Inspired Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry but I couldn't help but giggle about you sliding down the bank! ;) I am sure you did so with grace.

    I would love to see what is inside your notebooks. This is something we have not done but we should.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete